Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is "suburban environmentalist" an oxymoron?

As a young environmentally-conscious student living in a residential area, it often seems that the world I live in is at complete odds with the one I want to live in.

To be green on a regular basis is a constant struggle-- against peer pressure, city infrastructure, (oh Winnipeg Transit...) mass media, and my own laziness. Convenience and popularity are often things modern environmentalists have to forgo, and it's not easy. I'm not nearly as successful as I'd like to be.

My inadequacy as an environmentalist (and the ensuing guilt) is something that causes me a lot of grief, and it's not just going to go away. This blog will be a documentation of victories and failures in my continuing quest to make sustainability a way of life-- not just a hobby. I'll share helpful tips, strategies, info, and problems I have yet to overcome. I'll also touch on current environmental issues in politics and the media.

Always feel free to comment with tips, experiences and thoughts. I also hope to link up to other bloggers whenever possible. For example, check out Danielle Conolly's post on how to de-clog your drain without all those nasty chemicals.

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. You make an excellent point - where we are has a huge impact on what we can do. Your blog will be an incredible resource as we all try to do right by our planet! I look forward to featuring you in future posts as our areas of interest intersect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing more. Everything we do in society has an impact somewhere. Its added a new dimension to how we should make choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be super helpful! I mean saying "I'm going to be better to the environment" is one thing, but doing it is much harder, so you're great inspiration! :) haha. I'll be on the lookout for those tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My head explodes whenever I see someone litter, which is a lot!

    A few weeks ago, I was driving behind another car, when its passengers threw all of their fast-food trash out the window!

    I angrily honked my horn and got the big reaction of...nothing.

    What hope is there for the environment if we can't even stop people from chucking their junk on the ground? Sheesh.

    OK, I feel better now. Thanks for the venting opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to read your posts!

    I also find littering completely repelling and even shocking at times. The other day waiting for my bus I saw someone drop their Tim Hortons cup out a bus window...

    Being green sure is a challenge, but at least there's still people out there willing to do their part!

    ReplyDelete