Sunday, September 20, 2009

"We're the planeteers-- you can be one too, 'cause saving our planet is the thing to do!"


And now for something a little more upbeat...

Captain Planet was one of my favourite cartoons as a child. What a fabulous way to teach young kids about the environment-- slip it into the Saturday cartoon roster! Promoting teamwork and multiculturalism, and with a voice cast including Whoopi Goldberg, Meg Ryan, Martin Sheen, Tim Curry and Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton, it was certainly a high quality show.

As a kid, I always wanted to be Linka (the blonde).



I'm completely ignorant when it comes to current children's cartoons. I wonder if they put out any similar social/environmental responsibility-themed shows these days. If anyone knows, please share! Also feel free to list some of your favourite childhood cartoons-- that's always fun.

4 comments:

  1. Great tie-in with the subject matter.

    Does anyone remember the "FernGully" film? It's an awful film, so it's "save the rainforest!" message, unfortunately, fell on deaf ears.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to watch Hercules and Spiderman in the morning before school and Huckleberry Hound and Quickdraw McGraw at lunchtime. My favorite show as a kid was Sesame Street. A book was recently published called, "Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street". I'm going to track it down the next time I'm in a book store. Good times...

    Do kids still watch Sesame St?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, I thought it was "Sesame Park" now? Something about it not being safe for kids to play in the street? :S

    When I think of kids' shows now, I just think of Spongebob Squarepants. What is that show teaching them? Is it helpful in any way, or just a colourful distraction? Whatever happened to shows with good messages, like Captain Planet or the Care Bears?

    Or, in light of all the movie and video game violence, does what's on TV even matter anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spongebob is totally about distraction in the goofiest sense. He lives in a pineapple under the sea in a place called 'Bikini Bottom'. That is the craziest thing I ever heard, but it is so fun and imaginative. I used to watch this show with my niece when she was a little'un. We would flop out in front of the tv when I would visit family and zone out for a half hour. I actually have a 'Patrick star" Pez dispenser, Spongebob snow-globe, and a few xmas tree ornaments from the show.

    ReplyDelete