Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why grass is EVIL

My title's a bit sensational, I admit, but it got you here.

This post is inspired by one of my CreComm buddies who, attempting (and utterly failing, as usual) to mock my environmentalist views, said something along the lines of "I'm going to go burn some grass after school." To this I replied, "go ahead."

Reasons grass is unsustainable:

1.Mowing it wastes gas. (not to mention how many people bag and trash their compostable grass clippings!)

2.Watering it wastes water.

3.Treating it with chemical herbicides is toxic.

There are lots of benefits to having a lawn made of grass-- it allows you to enjoy your space. It's a place for kids to play. As not everyone wants to dig up their yard to plant wild prairie grasses (so cool!), there are ways around the enviro-hazards grass promotes.

1. Use a manual push-mower. It's a little more work but it does the job fine. The grass clipping just disintegrate into the lawn.

2.Don't water your lawn. That's what rain is for. This may require that you disengage from the whole 'perfectly manicured suburban lawn' pressure. Yeah, your neighbors might consider your slightly yellow lawn an eyesore. Too bad.

3.Avoid pesticides-- use green weed-killing alternatives (scroll down on that link).

I know it's fall, and lots of you probably don't have lawns, but keep this stuff in mind for the future. For the most part, being sustainable isn't rocket science.

3 comments:

  1. I hate the fact that people sit there and water their lawns in the summer! Wait for the damn rain people! I had a previous Home-Ec teacher tell us about how much water people wasted watering lawns and then proceeded to tell us that she was one of those people. I was let down to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. What I can't stand is when I see government buildings watering their lawns mid-day. Even watering gardens in full sun is ridiculous because 1. it's going to evaporate faster, and 2. water on petals and leaves attracts the light and the sun actually burns the plants. I've seen city hall do this, as well as Parks Canada (federal gov't), when I worked for a National Historic Site in the summer. We as staff would sometimes just turn the hose off before the maintenance people actually drowned the garden. So ridiculous-- especially considering how much rain we had this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a manual push-mower, and it's not extra work at all. It takes me just as long as the electric or gas mowers.

    My neighbor installed an in-ground sprinkler system. It's embarassing. And his grass is just as green as mine!

    So all I have left to say is a quick chant: Sandy! Sandy! Sandy! (Great blog Sandy, I've never thought of grass this way before.)

    ReplyDelete