Friday, April 23, 2010

I missed Earth Day

What kind of environmental blog doesn't include a post on Earth Day, you ask? Clearly, my kind.

Yesterday, the world celebrated the awesomeness of the earth, with activities and events around the world.

Earth Day passed through my life as not much more than a blip on the radar, I must admit. While in past years I've been involved with enviro groups who have organized activities to mark the day, this year celebrating Earth Day was not a top priority. And I don' think that's necessarily a bad thing.

While special days to celebrate causes and groups of people are lovely, as they provide a focused time of year to concentrate events, promote awareness, etc, I wonder if they also work to undermine the legitimacy of the cause. I'm probably nit-picking, but I guess the argument is, why should we only celebrate the earth and sustainability on one day? Instead of it being a token cause, it should be something we integrate into our values and our lifestyles every day. That way people can't get away with saying "well, I didn't litter on Earth Day, that's good enough."

I suppose this could be said for any special day, and really, it's better to have a day singled out than none at all, and certainly the intention is not to relegate caring for that issue to just that one 24-hour period. Still, I'm not concerned about missing Earth Day because that stuff is on my mind constantly, and I'm not in danger of forgetting it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. That's a common complaint about earth hour. Shouldn't every hour be earth hour, and every day be earth day, zero waste day, etc?

    ReplyDelete